Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Welcome home Lil' Bro!

As I said, super busy this past week. I did all that decorating and cleaning and organizing for one party. LOL! Hubby Dwayne's little brother is in the Air Force, and he wanted to throw him a welcome home party. He is back in Alabama for two weeks before he is shipping out to go to overseas. He is a cargo plane mechanic, so he should be relatively safe from danger, but we Southern folks say prayers for him no matter what.

Anyway, now the house is decorated and clean, but now I have to decorate and prepare for a party! Yikes, the week is almost over and party day is on its way! Good thing I planned ahead! My dad let us borrow his horseshoe set, and Dwayne's cousin brought his grill and cornhole game over.

Left: Husband Dwayne and his little sister (youngest) Right: Dylon (guest of honor) and his wife playing cornhole

I had been to the dollar store and picked up blue tablecloths, plates, and cups during the week. I also got some toy planes and spray painted them blue. They got set around the cake as favors for the kiddos.

Oh, the cake. Such high hopes I had for it. I had found a very nice idea on Pinterest for designing your own cake decorations from printed images, and was going to make the Air Force symbol.


my cake's design


It didn't work out like I hoped, so I just blended smeared the design into the icing already on the cake. I also dyed the cake blue! I thought it would be fun to surprise everyone with a white iced cake and blue interior. It did! Everyone loved it! My cake came out a bit more turquoise-y than the one below, which is the image from the recipe I found. I think it was because my cake mix was the box kind, not scratch made. The boxed vanilla is still a bit yellow too, not white.

Blue Velvet Cake "Pinspiration"
I didn't get many pictures because we were all busy having fun and chatting it up, but I did manage to get a few. It started raining for about 20-30 minutes during the party, so everyone was inside or on the porch. The guys turned on the Xbox and were zombies for a few rounds of Call of Duty, and all us girls sat on the porch just conversing with each other. Mostly poking fun at the guys and their game faces.

Dylon and Dwayne vs Bubba and Blake
All in all we had a good party. Most all the food was eaten, so we didn't have many leftovers. Except the cake, no one took any home for later.  :P  So, now I have half of a half-sheet cake sitting on my table. I'm trying very hard to NOT eat it all. (Yeah right!)

So, who wants to come over and eat some blue vanilla cake with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment